Volunteer Abroad News
• "In Cambodia, 'orphanage tourism' has become the norm. Michael Bywater reports on his personal connection to a new approach, which favours reuniting children with their families over foreign adoptions" via The Independent.
• "The Do’s and Don’ts of Voluntourism" via Condé Nast Traveler.
• "A growing number of travelers are volunteering on their vacations, but they sometimes end up doing more harm than good. Dorinda Elliott report builds a house in Haiti and reports on the rewards—and risks—of lending a hand away from home." via Condé Nast Traveler
Study Abroad News
• For students who lack the resources to spend a semester overseas, technology is playing a vital role in "studying abroad"—without ever leaving the country. But while communication technologies are helping to bridge global gaps, professor Robert Huesca is concerned that Facebook and access to social media may be ruining study abroad.
• David Willetts, the UK the Minister of State for Universities and Science, explains why he has commissioned a strategy to make working, studying and volunteering abroad easier. • Mashable lists 10 apps for college students studying abroad.
Work Abroad News
• As Brits leave the country to work abroad, an increasing number don't plan on returning to the UK.
• Volunteering abroad and working abroad don’t necessarily have to be two separate activities as demonstrated by expats becoming engaged in their new communities.
• Watch: Africa for Norway. (Yup, you read that right.)
Contests & Opportunities
• If you’re a Canadian who has ever dreamed of starring in a travel television show, then this is your week. First, find a partner and fill out your application forthe Amazing Race Canada.Next, get ready to shine solo when you submit an audition tape to become the next host of Travel and Escape’s Top 10 Travel. Just don’t forget us once you’re famous.