Verge Magazine is seeking a communications & events manager, responsible for communications and management of many aspects of the Go Global Expos, which take place bi-annually in Toronto and Montreal. S/he will be responsible for promotion of our events to visitors, and for managing the events on-site. This is a demanding position that requires a highly-organized self-starter with previous experience in communications and managing events, an ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks efficiently, and the ability to stay positive and thrive under pressure. The main tasks are:
• Promotion of the events to visitors
Responsible for meeting and working with partner organizations; researching and executing a promotion schedule across two cities; developing and executing social media campaigns.
• Managing the events on-site
For the day of the events, you will take the lead recruiting and managing a team of event volunteers to ensure that the events are successfully executed. You will: be the point person to address any problems encountered by exhibitors, presenters or visitors; take the lead with the planning and carrying out of a variety of on-the-day logistics; manage the event team to assist exhibitors from set-up to close; manage the event team to organize the efficient flow of visitors.
You will also contribute to the following:
• Developing programming for the expos;
• Developing and managing relationships with exhibitors and sponsors.
• Applicants must have a university degree and a minimum of two years' relevant experience;
• Outstanding communications skills;
• Knowledge of, and experience with managing events;
• Experience managing and motivating a team;
• Outgoing, with strong interpersonal and leadership skills and a positive, can-do attitude;
• Self-starter, able to work well in a small team environment and absolutely must work well independently;
• Meticulous organization abilities, with strong attention to detail;
• Adaptability, an ability to manage multiple demanding projects simultaneously;
• Must thrive under pressure;
• Bilingual (French / English) strongly preferred;
• A good understanding of the education sector or meaningful travel sector is preferred;
• A passion for meaningful travel;
• Preferably, based in Toronto or Montreal, or able to work in one of those cities several days in January 2020.
This position will require attendance at the Go Global Expos in Montreal (February 8, 2020) and Toronto (February 9, 2020).