Learn to dive, identify fish and coral species and help as a volunteer with current scientific research and conservation work. As a volunteer you don't just learn a lot, you also contribute to the conservation of coral reefs and experience first hand how important the underwater world in the Philippines is.
The Philippines are located in the center of the coral triangle and as such is one of the most biodiverse areas of the submarine world and an important dive destination. With it's 7000 islands, the Philippines have an extremely long shoreline with pearly white beaches and many coral reefs. Only 0.1% of the oceans consist of coral reefs, but this small area contains about 25% of all fish species, making it very important for fish populations, global food supply and as protection from climate change. But overfishing and also climate change cuase these reefs to become ever more threatened. With your help we can build a more sustainable future in which everyone can enjoy and profit from this marine treasure.
Activities you can participate in as a volunteer depend on what the project needs at that specific moment, but we will involve you in as many different activities as possible so you get a varied program. If you don't have any diving licence yet, the first week will be spent on your dive training. Thereafter we will teach you about our research program and can you start contributing in ever improving ways.
* Both above and below water will you be involved in nature conservation. You will work six days per week and sundays you will be off.
* Get your diving license through the PADI diving program from very experienced diving instructors.
* Swim transects in which you wil research a number of fish, invertebrate and coral species
* Grow and propagate corals
* Take or teach classes on marine biology and ocean systems
* Clean up trash above and below water
* Assist university students with their research
* Develop educational material for local schools
* Teach at schools or elsewhere about marine subjects
In your spare time there are plenty of things to do. You can explore the city of Dumaguete, hang around on the beach or read a book in a hammock, snorkel or make short trips in the area like to the Chocolate Hills.
Sport and play volunteer in refugee camp in Uganda
Join our community of savvy travellers and put nearly two decades of inspiring articles, authoritative information and expert advice to work for you.
Live, work and study in Spain without spending a fortune!
Travel with purpose; travel for good. Articles, resources and events for ethical and meaningful travel, volunteering, working and studying abroad.
Verge believes in travel for change. International experience creates global citizens, who can change our planet for the better. This belief is at the core of everything we do.
Follow us on social media