YFU is a non-profit international educational organization and one of the worlds oldest, largest and most respected exchange organizations. Established in 1951, YFU has successfully exchanged more than 240,000 students worldwide. That's why we have been selected to administer more government and corporate scholarships than any other high school exchange organization. And that's why more than 10,000 parents trust us with their teenagers each year.
• Dr. Rachel Andresen established the Youth For Understanding (YFU) International Exchange Program in 1951.
• YFU is a non-profit international student exchange program with offices in over 50 countries around the world.
• YFU Canada's office is located at 7 Roseview Avenue, N1R 4A5 Cambridge, Ontario.
• YFU Inc.- the program's International headquarters - is located in Bethesda, MD USA.
• YFU's mission is to promote world peace through global understanding.
• YFU Canada provides six-week, summer, semester and year programs for Canadian high school students ages 15 to 18 years. On semester and year programs students live with a host family and attend school in their host country.
• International students from 13 different countries attend high school and live with host families in Canada for 10 months.
• YFU is a volunteer based program. Volunteers assist in recruiting, screening and supporting students, host families and other volunteers. They are essential to every part of the program.
• Host families are volunteers who open their homes and hearts to international students for a school year and are rewarded with a lifetime experience.
• Community volunteers who are trained in cross-cultural issues give support to hostfamilies and students during the stay to help cope with cultural adjustments.
• The majority of our funding comes from program fees. The balance of our revenue comes from donations from service clubs or individuals. We are a registered non-profit organization.