Event Manager: Go Global Expos
Full-time 8-month position, with possibility to become a permanent position
Application deadline: ASAP and no later than June 18, 2017
Start date: ASAP
Verge Magazine is seeking an events manager, responsible for managing many aspects of the Go Global Expos, which take place bi-annually in Toronto and Montreal. S/he will be responsible for promotion of our events to visitors, and for managing the events on-site. This is a demanding position that requires a highly-organized self-starter with previous experience managing events, an ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks efficiently, and the ability to stay positive and thrive under pressure. The main tasks are:
• Promotion of the events to visitors.
This is the bulk of the position, and includes but is not limited to: meeting and working with partner organizations; updating marketing materials; developing and maintaining contact lists; researching, developing and executing an intense promotion schedule across two or more cities; recruiting, training, scheduling and managing volunteers; updating websites; developing and executing social media campaigns; writing and sending press releases.
• Managing the events on-site:
Responsible for the successful execution of the event on the day. Includes but is not limited to: recruiting, training, scheduling and supervising event-day staff and volunteers; planning and coordinating a range of logistics and event details; managing exhibitor check-in, set-up, tear-down and troubleshooting; managing the flow of visitors at the event, including visitor check-in, information booth, signage; managing communications surrounding event programming, including announcements and efficient vacating of the seminar rooms; managing all troubleshooting on-site, for visitors and exhibitors and presenters.
The event manager will also contribute to the following:
• Developing programming for the expos;
• Developing and managing relationships with exhibitors and sponsors.
• Applicants must have a university degree and a minimum of two years' relevant work experience;
• Knowledge of, and experience with managing and marketing events;
• Outstanding communications skills;
• Outgoing, with strong interpersonal and leadership skills and a positive, can-do attitude;
• Self-starter, able to work well in a small team environment and absolutely must work well independently;
• Meticulous organization abilities, with strong attention to detail;
• Adaptability, an ability to manage multiple demanding projects simultaneously;
• Must thrive under pressure;
• Bilingual (French / English) strongly preferred;
• A good understanding of, and contacts within, the education sector or meaningful travel sector is preferred;
• A passion for meaningful travel;
• Preferably, based in Toronto, or able to be based there for much of September 2017.
This position may involve occasional travel within Canada and the United States, to attend conferences and networking events, as well as the Go Global Expos in Toronto and Montreal.